Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thing #12: Creating Community through Commenting

First off, it was fun commenting on other peoples blogs that have been working

I think one of most important points made was to write meaningful comments. It is adds much more to the blog when their are comments that make you think more or asks a question that makes you look at things in a different way. It reminds me that when I am grading student work I also need to be better at writing meaningful comments. A star, check mark, or great job has very little impact on my students especially if I have asked them to complete a major assignment.

The other comment that struck me was from Meridith Farkas' blog. She said: "But most importantly, sharing will encourage others to share. And when there’s a culture of sharing, when we’re all sharing knowledge, we will all benefit."

I believe blogging is a great way to share. I think as teachers that we sometimes spend too much time isolated in our classrooms instead of sharing and observing what other teachers are doing. The more we share and collaborate the better we will become as professionals and the better we will serve our students. Blogging is a great way to connect with teachers from all over the country.

The follow this blog regularly: http://blog.sojo.net/ because I am interested in the intersection of social justice-politics-faith. This blog provides an interesting and thought provoking perspective on difficult topics.

I follow this blog as well: http://runningonhope.blogspot.com/ because it is written by two women that run a non-profit that support an children home I have been to 3 times in Kenya. I like to be able to keep up with them some and hear about the kids I love so much at the children home.

1 comment:

  1. You have really traveled widely. I am amazed. I liked your comment on sharing knowledge. When I was working on my 11.5 Things, I read everyone's blog to help me understand what I was doing and how to do it! I got some great ideas that I had not thought of on my own.

    ReplyDelete